What’s for dinner tonight? Get a FREE copy of 7 Dinners You’ll Want To Cook Again
Need breakfast inspiration? Kid Approved Breakfasts is sure to please!
Perfectly sweet and satisfying, these breakfast bars will have the pickiest eater asking for more! And they are also gluten free (and easily adapted to vegan if that’s how you roll).
- 1 ripe banana (medium)
- 1/4 cup natural unsalted peanut butter*
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1 egg**
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats (gluten free)
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes or shreds
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
*Can be replaced with seed butter like pumpkin or sunflower
** Make it Vegan: 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flax + 3 tablespoons water, whisked together, set aside for 15 minutes)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper or greased foil. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add peeled banana. Using a sturdy whisk or fork, mash until smooth. Add the remaining wet ingredients: peanut butter, maple syrup, coconut oil, egg and vanilla. Whisk until well incorporated.
- Add the dry ingredients: oats, baking powder, and baking soda. Using a rubber spatula, fold until well mixed. Fold in coconut and chocolate chips.
- Pour this mixture into the prepared baking pan. Using the rubber spatula, smooth into an even layer.
- Bake for 16-22 minutes, until just lightly golden around the edges. Cool for about 30 minutes. Slice into bars. Enjoy!