Yup, you read that right.
Maybe you can relate…organizing, purging and getting the kids ready to start school. And my #3 also starts JK this year. And I partnered with Macaroni Kids to bring you Tips For Stress Free Lunches. As you can imagine (or are perhaps living yourself), it’s a bit INSANE in our house.
Yesterday was one of those days and there wasn’t a whole lot of parenting going on. It was so crazy that my kids were primarily nourished with Zucchini Spice Cake and Skittles Shake (recipe for the shake is in Kid Approved Breakfasts).
And guess what?
I didn’t feel guilty about it, one bit.
Wanna know why? The Zucchini Spice Cake is made with cashew butter, eggs, zucchini, coconut sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and allspice. THAT IS ALL!
It’s so nutritious and you can eat it as part of your breakfast (pair it with hard boiled eggs or some greek yogurt with fruit) or give it to your kids as an afterschool snack. It’s incredibly delicious so your kids won’t even think they are eating something that is good for them!
With labour day weekend here, and the NYE of summer, let’s all get to having our cake and eating it too! Enjoy the sun, have some cake and take in the last long weekend of the summer!
Zucchini Spice Cake
* recipe from The Whole Life Nutrition Cookbook
- 1 1/2 cups cashew butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon (we like cinnamon so I put a little more)
- 3/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- Optional: 1/2 cup raisins or 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease an 8×8 pan with coconut oil
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat together the cashew butter, eggs, coconut sugar, baking soda, salt and spices.
- Beat in the grated zucchini and optional ingredients (if using).
- Let batter rest for a few minutes and then beat again.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 30 min.
- Remove from the oven and cool for at least 20 min before cutting and serving. Or be like me, cut it as soon as it gets out…blow on it between bites and devour two pieces in 5 minutes.